Gabrielle

Gabbing Around Town

Thoughts on Social Media and Education

I really enjoyed Jesse Miller‘s lecture about social media and education/educators. I joined facebook when I was in grade 11 in 2007. My whole adult life is documented on facebook. I have always had a fairly private profile because I remember being told “nothing can be deleted from the internet.” I do periodic facebook purges — without needing to announce it on my page (remember when it was called a wall??). But, that doesn’t mean images of me don’t exist on friends’ profiles.

It is crazy to think just how much social media is integrated into our lives. Facebook is a noun and a verb? We use facebook but also facebook people. I actually came across my high school year book for 2008 and the theme is… FACEBOOK!?!? 🤷🏼‍♀️

On a different note, I googled myself to see what cringy information came up. Nothing. Just my facebook page comes up as one of many Gabrielle Paulsons. After this Jesse’s lecture, I feel confident about my privacy on social media while also maintaining professionalism.

featured Photo by William Iven on Unsplash

1. erinvs February 3, 2021

That year book is so funny!?!?!?! I also find it crazy how much of our lives are documented on facebook! I wonder where things will go from here and what will the next big platform.

2. robynj February 3, 2021

I’m so impressed with your google results, I definitely found more online about myself than I was expecting! I also think it’s so crazy the way that we’ve adopted “facebook” into our everyday language.

3. jaimem February 4, 2021

I love your yearbook photo – that is hilarious! I agree with your statement about how crazy it is that social media is so integrated into our lives – sometimes I wish I could get rid of it entirely, but at the same time I worry that I would miss out on too much…