Gabrielle

Gabbing Around Town

Thoughts on Creative Commons

I didn’t know what those little ‘cc’s meant at the bottom of documents. I thought they meant copyright, but they are actually quite the opposite. Those ‘c’s are the logo for Creative Commons. They are an open access collective to properly, and legally, share information and knowledge.

I knew about images having to be attributed, but it has always seemed like an extra step and too much work. There have been projects that I forwent images because I didn’t want to have to cite them. I only recently learned that information and images have a default to be under copyright. Through Creative Commons, I can licence my own images without any hassle or registration. Additionally, they have different types of licences to allow coping and modifications.

Learning about copyright and Creative Commons has provided me with extremely useful tools to apply to my teaching practice.

Featured Photo by Kalexanderson is licensed under CC BY 2.0

1. jaimem January 25, 2021

So funny that you mention the ‘cc’s on documents, I totally thought that they also meant copyright!! I also found learning about image attribution super interesting. The idea of attributing my own images had never crossed my mind before this course and so it is definitely something I want to try!

2. erinvs January 26, 2021

Along with you and Jamie I also thought that they meant copyright!!! I was surprised when I learned that it meant creative commons.

3. robynj January 26, 2021

I also thought the “cc” was for copyright! I totally agree with how helpful knowing how to properly attribute will be, both for personal internet use and also going into a profession where we can model this for students!